Saturday, June 05, 2004

New Equipment

Well, the business finally decided to buy a DVD burner tonight. OK, OK. I decided but since I'm all the business that is the business . . . well, you get the point.

I picked up the Sony DRU-530A (DVD +-RW, +-R, CD -R, CD -RW). Anyway, it'll burn about 4.7 GB of photos in around 15 minutes. For a schmuck like me who has about 250GB of photos. This might be a long process but at least I'll be able to burn almost 7 CD's worth of data in one shot. I'm feeling a little better about my backup strategy except that I heard that DVD's aren't always archivable either. Hopefully these will hold together long enough for me to select a more permenant media in the future.

Just FYI, I shot about 12-15 different days in Jan '04 (I didn't count to see; remember I'm over being anal 'bout stuff like that). For photos in about half of Jan, I completely used one DVD. 4.6 Gb of photos for January. Heck, that's even a "stay inside and shoot" kind of month. I can't imagine what I've been shooting in May and April of this year. It may take a couple or three DVD's to cover one month.

Ahh, well. C'est la vie, n'est pas?

Thanks for reading,

Kev

No comments: